Detailed instructions for backwashing a sand filter.
Backwashing a sand filter is a fairly straightforward thing:
- Turn off the pump.
- Empty the skimmer baskets and trap basket before backwashing.
- Make sure there is enough water in the pool. Backwashing a sand filter consumes a lot of water.
- Make sure that there is nothing blocking the path of the backwash water. In other words, make sure that the backwash line is not clogged with ice, or valved off.
- Put the backwash valve in “backwash” mode.
- Turn the pump on, keeping a close eye on the pressure gauge on the filter. If the pressure jumps to 30 psi or above, turn the pump off and check for blockage.
- Allow the pump to run in backwash mode until the effluent (backwash water) runs clear.
- Turn the pump off and put the backwash valve back in “filter mode”, then turn the pump back on.
If you have a multiport backwash valve, then run the system with the backwash valve in “rinse” mode for 30 seconds before putting the system back in “filter” mode.
- Always turn the pump off before changing the position of the backwash valve.
NEED HELP? Having problems with your pool filter? Need a new one but you’re not sure which one to get? Contact Pool Stop today! Give us a call at 972-772-4545 to ask questions or set up an appointment OR hit the “Request Service Quote” button and fill out a service request form so we can schedule your service call. Our team of experienced, licensed professionals is available to help you with expert advice, repairs, and installation.